After qualifying today, Red Bull driver Daniil Kvyat will start highest placed of the four drivers taking grid penalties for the Austrian Grand Prix.
The Russian set the eighth fastest time in qualifying and has taken a 10-place penalty for having an unscheduled engine change before the session. The sport’s governing body the FIA has applied his penalty first, so he drops from eighth to 18th in the final classification, ahead of both Manor Marussias.
Penalties are then applied to Daniel Ricciardo (10 places) and the McLarens of Fernando Alonso (20 places) and Jenson Button (25 places), which elevates Kvyat to 15th place on the grid.
Daniel Ricciardo qualified 14th but will start 18th, and will serve a five-second time penalty at his first pitstop for the six extra grid spots he cannot drop.
McLaren driver Fernando Alonso has been relegated to 19th spot after qualifying 15th, but will have to serve the remaining 16 places of his sanction via a drive-through penalty that must be taken in the first three laps of the race.
While his team-mate Jenson Button qualified 17th and will start 20th, but the 2009 world champion will have to serve a 10s stop-go penalty in the first three laps of the race to make up the 22-place shortfall in his penalty.
Here is the revised grid for the Austrian GP tomorrow with the penalites applied.
- Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
- Nico Rosberg Mercedes
- Sebastian Vettel Ferrari
- Felipe Massa Williams-Mercedes
- Nico Hulkenberg Force India-Mercedes
- Valtteri Bottas Williams-Mercedes
- Max Verstappen Toro Rosso-Renault
- Felipe Nasr Sauber-Ferrari
- Romain Grosjean Lotus-Mercedes
- Pastor Maldonado Lotus-Mercedes
- Marcus Ericsson Sauber-Ferrari
- Carlos Sainz Jr Toro Rosso-Renault
- Sergio Perez Force India-Mercedes
- Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari
- Daniil Kvyat Red Bull-Renault
- Roberto Merhi Marussia-Ferrari
- Will Stevens Marussia-Ferrari
- Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull-Renault*
- Fernando Alonso McLaren-Honda**
- Jenson Button McLaren-Honda***
* + 5s pitstop penalty ** + drive-through penalty *** + 10s stop/go penalty