Malaysia will not be on the calendar for the 2018 season

action-sepang-scenic-malaysian-kuala-lumpur-grand-prix-formula-1-atmosphere_3104068

Earlier this week, it was anounced that Malaysia will drop its Formula 1 race once its current contract ends in 2018, according to the country’s tourism and culture minister.

The race has been on the F1 calendar since 1999, with the Sepang International Circuit proving to be a popular layout with the drivers.

However, in recent years the Malaysian Grand Prix has been plagued by low attendance figures and television viewers have reportedly fallen too.

Malaysia has a deal to host two more F1 races but tourism and culture minister Nazri Abdul Aziz told local media on Monday there will be no Malaysian GP after 2018 as follows:-

‘The current agreement is from 2016 to 2018. So once that ends, there will be no more [F1].  F1 attendance is dropping and there is less attraction now. We are spending RM 300 million a year [$97 million]. The cost of hosting F1 has increased 10-fold compared to the first time it was held.’

It comes after Bernie Ecclestone said Singapore is looking to ditch its F1 race contract once the current deal comes to an end.


Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s